Saturday, April 22, 2006

Today is Blog Against Heteronormativity Day

Remember to check out blac(k)ademic for her post and for links to the other blogs that are participating.
Heteronormativity is everywhere and is everything. That is an understatement. I think what gets me the most, however, is how even the things I turn to for relaxation or a bit of catharsis end up putting me into the same mental place in which the real world takes me. It's another understatement when I say there is an extreme lack of queer people in the geeky culture I take refuge in.



Which is why the anime series Revolutionary Girl Utena has been so important to me.

I could write an essay about the show and the characters and how it refreshingly spins heteronormative fairytales on its head, but I think it's more fun to read this poem that pretty much demonstrates what it means to me.

Utena Dances the Wedding

If the egg’s shell does not break,
I haven’t been to the Riviera since high school prom. This time, however, there were lilies and white carnations in revolving[1] chandeliers.
The chick will die without being born.
Chocolate covered strawberries on pink[2] china plates. Does the merlot color my lips or is it my mother’s lipstick?
We are the chick; the egg is the world.
I step on Uncle Ed’s shiny shoes. After the song (Mercy, Mercy, Mercy) he bows, says “I must return to my wife now.[3]
If the world’s shell does not break,
His wife is Carrianne[4]. Health problems. (Never knew what?) Now ordained. Was Catholic, maybe not Catholic anymore.
we will die without being born.
Betty wears new Nikes under her wedding dress. I saw it so under the bathroom stall. I think of her at Payless buying cross trainers[5] just for dancing.
Break the world’s shell!
The last time I was at the Riviera, Aran and I danced all night. Specifically to Sting’s “Fields of Gold[6]”. I dance with Betty during “Twist and Shout.”
For the sake of revolutionizing the world!
The sweat of her neck was like another string of her pearls. The sweat on my neck: bad lighting. Betty shakes her hips towards mine and whispers[7], “One day it will be just like this for you.”

-------------------
[1] In the opening of Revolutionary Girl Utena, Anthy and Utena revolve on the face of a blossomed rose.

[2]Pink, the color of Utena’s hair is said to represent her immaturity, her ability to trust others.

[3]Now you should have nothing to complain of.

[4] Blood type B people also love to be complimented; yet they are kind to all others and show genuine concern for friends.

[5] Notably, Utena’s uniform consists of a boy's black jacket, and red biker shorts. Anonymous girl says, “Utena-sama came in drag?! How cute!”

[6] In the movie adaptation, Utena and Anthy dance in the flooded rose garden, beneath a CG-rendered sky.

[7] "Though you pose as a prince, in the end you're just a girl."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to read that poem again! It packs a powerful punch in such a few words and displays the heteronormativity that you are rallying against.
You have to let me borrow Utena one day.

100LittleDolls said...

Definately :) Favorite. Anime. Ever.