Friday, November 24, 2006

Game Rag for Women

According to GameSpot, there's going to be a new video game magazine launched in Germany:

The publisher describes the magazine, aimed at female gamers, as "fresh,
bold, upbeat, and feminine."

While I'm glad that female gamers are being acknowledged, I don't think the answer is to have a videovgame-themed magazine that'll tote the same tired gender stereotypes that plague most magazines that are aimed towards women and girls. Though it wasn't mentioned in the GameSpot article, I can see it now--a review of Jeanne D'Arc for the PSP on one page; facing it, an ad for make up.

While I do think there is a place for magazines that are dedicated to a female audience (I've often toyed with the idea of starting up my own little zine for feminist reviews of games) I can't help but wish there could be an effort made in the current video game publications to be more inclusive of a diverse audience. I know that if such a publication existed, I'd drop the money for a subscription immediately.

3 comments:

Mickle said...

I do wear makeup to work (I'm trying to remember why) bit I really don't think that I'd bother to pay money for a videogame mag that tried to sell me cosmetics either.

Your idea though - I'd probably buy it. I also think it would increase sales for the game industry too - over time anyway. Several hundred dollars is a lot to shell out for a piece of equipment that I'm not sure I'd use very often. The best way to get me to take the leap is to make sure that I know that there are games out there that I might enjoy.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure there's a big enough existing market for such a mag yet. You may buy a subscription, but I'd likely only pick up an issue or two.

Perhaps then, we should put together a scifi/fantasy/technology/gaming/computing/science/movie/tv/comics mag for women. You know, like the Feminist SciFi Carnival - only glossier. ;)

100LittleDolls said...

Well, I'll be looking for a new job in January, and I have no idea--I might have to wear makeup--though I know I sure as hell don't want to.

:) Yes, a feminist sci-fi mag would be a dream come true!

Revena said...

"Perhaps then, we should put together a scifi/fantasy/technology/gaming/computing/science/movie/tv/comics mag for women. You know, like the Feminist SciFi Carnival - only glossier. ;)"

Writing for a magazine like that would be awesome squared.