Monday, November 07, 2005

Political Hair and Feminist Thought

I'm trying to write a cohesive essay for my creative nonfiction class on hair (leg hair) and feminist thought. It also includes androgyny, Disney characters and Jennifer Aniston. I'm try to view the piece sort of as a blog entry, instead of going at it from a Poetry Major's viewpoint, but I'm having a hard time. I wish I could just write a poem. Here's a rough little excerpt:
Androgyny is as fashionable as being a rebel. I wanted to be a white wall: indistinguishable with a plain face and body. What I really wanted to do was to relive a grade school memory: walking to my grandma’s house after a sweaty game of softball in a pair of white polyester pants that hung loosely around my hips, black Nike cleats, a large blue t-shirt that read Coldwell Banker across my chest. My hair was tucked up inside my red baseball cap. Walking along, I stared
at the grass, hitting my metal bat on my toes every step or so. Two boys walked by, but I didn’t bother looking at them. I heard one boy talk to the other in a low, cautious voice. “Was that a boy or a girl?” I was thrilled.


Here are some of the essays that I'm going to refer to in order to try to organize my thoughts:
  • John Berger, Ways of Seeing
  • Naomi Wolf, The Beauty Myth
  • Zones, "Beauty Myths and Realities and Their Impact on Women's Health" (the first part of the name is cut off on my xeroxed copy)
  • Bell Hooks "Sisterhood: Political Solidarity between Women"

No comments: